Q&A: My 6 month extension on my corporate business taxes is due on 9/15. Help!

Share Post

Businessman and Businesswoman at Work

If you filed a 6 month tax extension with the IRS for your corporate business taxes back in April, it probably seemed like October 15th was eons away. However, that rapidly approaching October 15th deadline may have you feeling a little stressed out. If you filed a tax extension and still haven’t finished your tax return, here’s what you need to do:

  1. If you owe a tax bill to the IRS, make sure you paid it when you submitted your 6 month corporate business tax extension. If you didn’t pay your tax bill then, that is the most important thing to take care of. The sooner you make that payment to the IRS, the less penalties and interest you will have to pay.
  2. Start your return now. Don’t wait until October 14th to start on your tax return and then rush through it. Give yourself time to gather the proper documents and file your corporate business taxes accurately. Corporate business taxes can get complicated in a hurry with multiple forms to fill out; it’s best to take your time and do it right the first time so that you don’t have to worry about filing an amended return later on.
  3. E-file or send your tax return to the IRS by October 15th. The IRS does not accept e-filed tax returns after October 15th and mailed tax returns must be postmarked by this date as well.
  4. Contact a CPA. They can help you gather needed tax information, accurately fill out your tax return, and file it for you. They can even help you set up a payment or installment plan with the IRS if you cannot make your full payment right away. Mazuma accountants can help you file your corporate business taxes with the IRS before the October 15th deadline. Contact an accountant with any questions you may have about your tax extension.


Other posts that might interest you:

6 Reasons Why Filing a Tax Extension with the IRS is a Good Decision

Top 10 Things You Should Do If You File a Corporate Business Tax Extension

Q&A: How to file a corporate business income tax extension with the IRS

Q&A: Do I need to request a state tax extension if I filed an IRS tax extension?

Q&A: What if I can’t file my corporate business taxes by my IRS tax extension deadline?

Q&A: Can I file a second IRS tax deadline extension for my corporate business taxes?

Q&A: How do I file an amended tax return for my business?

Q&A: What if I missed the IRS tax extension deadline?

Ben Sutton

Ben Sutton

Ben Sutton is the founder of Mazuma USA, an accounting firm providing tax, bookkeeping and payroll services to small businesses. Since founding Mazuma, Ben has established himself as an expert in the small business world. He’s still driven by that same desire to provide accounting help to all small businesses – from photographers, bloggers and creatives to lawyers, doctors, and dentists, everyone needs affordable accounting help. Ben is a Certified Public Accountant, and a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. But Ben considers his greatest achievement and credential to be his happy wife and four children.

Suggested Articles


What to Look for in an Accountant

Accounting and tax software have made it possible for small businesses to get along without having an in-house accountant. Depending on the business’s complexity and

Do Small Businesses Get Tax Refunds?

In 2021, the average tax refund was $3,039. Small potatoes? Hardly, especially given the economic downturn of the last couple of years. New small business