Q&A: Can I file a second IRS tax deadline extension for my personal taxes?

Share Post

163991506-tax-timeUp until 2005, a tax deadline extension granted an individual or business an additional four months to file taxes, beyond the April 15th filing deadline. If taxes could not be filed within that time period, a second extension was available and granted an additional two months to file taxes. However, the IRS has since done away with this rule. Second IRS tax extensions are no longer available for business taxes, and are only available in specific circumstances for personal taxes.

If you filed a tax deadline extension by April 15th, your new deadline to file personal taxes is October 15th. While a tax deadline extension grants additional time to fill out and submit your tax forms to the IRS, it does not grant additional time to pay any taxes that may be due. All tax payments must be made by April 15th, and are generally submitted with the tax extension form.

In special circumstances, the IRS grants individuals a second IRS tax deadline extension for personal taxes. These circumstances include:

Members of the US Military: Members of the Armed Forces who are serving in a combat zone or contingency operation at the time their taxes are due, are eligible for a second personal IRS tax deadline extension of up to six months. The tax extension begins once their deployment ends.

Taxpayers Living Outside the US: In certain situations, taxpayers living outside the United States are granted an additional two month tax deadline extension for their personal taxes. This request must be made by October 15th, and can be done by filling out the appropriate second tax extension form on the IRS website.


Other posts that might interest you:

6 Reasons Why Filing a Tax Extension with the IRS is a Good Decision

Top 10 Things You Should Do If You File a Personal Tax Extension

Q&A: How to file an individual income tax extension with the IRS

Q&A: Do I need to request a state tax extension if I filed an IRS tax extension?

Q&A: My 6 month extension on my personal taxes is due on 10/15.  Help!

Q&A: What if I missed the IRS tax extension deadline?

Q&A: What if I can’t file my personal taxes by my IRS tax extension deadline?

Ben Sutton

Ben Sutton

Ben Sutton is the founder of Mazuma USA, an accounting firm providing tax, bookkeeping and payroll services to small businesses. Since founding Mazuma, Ben has established himself as an expert in the small business world. He’s still driven by that same desire to provide accounting help to all small businesses – from photographers, bloggers and creatives to lawyers, doctors, and dentists, everyone needs affordable accounting help. Ben is a Certified Public Accountant, and a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. But Ben considers his greatest achievement and credential to be his happy wife and four children.

Suggested Articles


What to Look for in an Accountant

Accounting and tax software have made it possible for small businesses to get along without having an in-house accountant. Depending on the business’s complexity and

Do Small Businesses Get Tax Refunds?

In 2021, the average tax refund was $3,039. Small potatoes? Hardly, especially given the economic downturn of the last couple of years. New small business